If you are curious about the facts behind TMJ disorder, or more commonly known as TMD, you’ve come to the right place. Our team is going to give you 10 interesting facts on the disorder and give you your best options for treatment.
• TMD is an acronym that stands for temporomandibular joint disorder.
• TMD is generally more common in women than men and occurs in those who are 20-40 years old.
• It was until the year 1980 that medical professionals were able to connect the TMJ joint to the symptoms many patients were feeling in their face and jaw.
• Symptoms of TMD include: pain or discomfort on one of both sides of the face, popping in either jaw joints, or facial swelling.
• Though there is no certain number of those who are affected by TMD, some estimate that over 10 million Americans suffer with the condition.
• Generally, TMJ disorder pain will go away on its own if treated correctly.
• Permanent changes in the bite or jaw line are typically not recommended as an initial treatment option.
• There is no scientific proof that sounds coming from your jaw joint will lead you more serious problems. Jaw sounds are actually more common than you would think, especially when they aren’t associated with pain or jaw movement.
• You can help treat your TMJ disorder at home with simple solutions like eating soft foods, applying ice packs and practicing relaxation techniques.
• Research is currently being done in the study of TMJ disorders to help improve the quality of life of those with the disorder.
If you are experiencing pain in your jaw joints, please contact our office today to schedule an appointment with our dentist by calling 801-756-0900!