Are you experiencing jaw pain or hearing sounds of popping and clicking as you talk or chew? If so, you could be experiencing temporomandibular joint disorder, also known as TMD. Your temporomandibular joint, also known as TMJ, is a complex joint that can cause severe pain when it becomes inflamed. That is why, our dentist, Dr. Carl McMillan with TMJ Therapy in American Fork, Utah, is here to share with you some advice on how to treat your TMD.
Here are some tips for handling your TMJ’s if you are experiencing pain:
– If you are suffering from a TMJ disorder, it could be linked to another condition within your mouth. Bruxism is a known cause of TMJ disorders.
– If you are involved in unhealthy habits that can put additional pressure and stress on your jaw, it can lead to TMJ disorders. This includes chewing tough foods or consistently biting your nails.
– Several conditions including misalignments with your jaw and teeth as well as arthritis are known causes of TMJ disorders.
– If you feel pain associated with a TMJ disorder, a heat pack can help. If your mouth is swollen or inflamed due to a TMJ disorder, ice packs can help reduce swelling.
– Jaw exercises and eating soft foods are both helpful methods for alleviating several symptoms associated with TMJ disorders.
– If you are suffering from a TMJ disorder, visit your dentist for an oral appliance to help treat the condition. This can include a bite plate or a night guard.
If you need further help with your TMJ’s, or if you are in need of a dentist, please call us today at 801-756-0900 to set up a consultation, so we put you on an ideal treatment plan to minimize your pain and restore your oral health.